Image from Mare Maia
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.”
~ John Muir, The Mountains of California
One of the tools that has been most effective in my healing journey as I overcome Lyme Disease has been spagyric tinctures. My friends Paul Hardacre and Marissa Newell create these tinctures for their business Mare Maia in Chiang Mai, Thailand, using organic ingredients and time-old methods. The efficacy and purity of these tinctures is exceptional, as is the care that goes into making them.
Paul explains what makes Spagyric tinctures different to ordinary homeopathic or plant-based remedies:
“Spagyric tinctures are alchemical plant medicines that offer a more energetically complete herb or plant extraction. These concentrated extractions contain the three essentials – that is, the body, soul and spirit – of the herb or plant, purified and recombined in an exalted medicinal form. The spagyric technique is part of the ancient initiatic tradition of alchemy – the Art that lies at the heart of the inner traditions of the West.
Ordinary herbal tinctures only partially utilise the curative powers of the plants from which they are prepared. Spagyric tinctures are made according to unique processes which ‘open’ the plant or herb and liberate stronger curative powers. The spagyric technique of confecting herbal remedies embodies another – more synergistic – way of considering Nature and its powers.”
Paul and Marissa became interested in spagyrics and the restorative properties of plants after too many of their loved ones suffered and died with little recourse or support from conventional medicine. Theirs is a small family business, and they are involved in every aspect of the creation of each batch of tincture. They’ve been dear friends of mine for over two decades, and when they found out how ill I was they dispatched the first of many of their tinctures to me.
I can vouch for their tinctures’ efficacy because I’ve been using them for a prolonged period with great results. The tinctures harness the best of a plant’s healing powers, and as an energetically sensitive person I can really feel the strength and clarity of each brew.
Here are a few of my favourites, and how I’ve used them.
Dosage: Dosage is 5-10 drops under the tongue, or in any suitable liquid, twice daily, although this may vary according to the individual and his / her condition. For relief of acute situations I have taken two to three drops under the tongue hourly and found that to be very effective.
My Lyme Disease Combo: (although of course these tinctures will be useful for many other issues)
- Turmeric. A powerful anti-inflammatory, turmeric really eased the arthritic pain in my hands, feet, neck and spine. Also tamed my fibromyalgia. Another bonus was improved liver function and sorting out the jaundice caused by heavy antibiotic use. It was of massive assistance in minimising and managing herxes while on lyme meds too.
- Garlic. Garlic has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-septic properties. Garlic boosts the immune system, lowers cholesterol levels and blood pressure, and regulates the cardiovascular system and blood sugar. Garlic can reduce inflammation of the stomach and intestine, including candida yeast. During my heavy use of antibiotics and herbs for treating lyme and co-infections garlic has been invaluable. It sorted out any candida problems quickly and naturally without having to resort to heavy-duty prescription anti-fungals. Now I’m off drugs I still take it as a mop-up and preventative. At the first sign of a cold or flu I up my dose, and even in an immune-depleted state I didn’t succumb to any of those infections.
- Coriander. Coriander-Cilantro has anti-allergy, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-septic, anti-oxidant, and analgesic properties. It also mops up heavy metals and is a useful and gentle chelating agent. An important part of my detox regime. I use it during my dietary detox cycles, and whenever I use an infrared sauna.
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom. If you have neurological lyme, or any kind of brain or memory issue this tincture is for you! This has been such an important treatment for restoring cognitive function and memory for me. Lion’s Mane mushroom is a nootropic (or ‘smart drug’) known for increasing nerve growth factor (NGF) levels in the human brain. This hormone has been linked to increased neuronal growth rates and may improve the synaptic plasticity of the brain. NGF is integral to the growth of neurons, the generation of synapses and even the development of new neurons. Most neurons in the brain are formed within the first two years of life, and until recently it was believed that no new neurons develop later in life. However, it is now known that NGF can actually restart this neuron development process. NGF also makes it easier for neurons to form new connections with other neurons, and may improve communication between different hemispheres of the brain.
- Fennel. My go-to tincture for herxing. Fennel provides relief from indigestion, gas, bloating, flatulence, and cramps. It was super-useful for combatting nausea and gastro upsets, and supporting my digestive tract during heavy antibiotic use.
- Goji Berry. For exhaustion and fatigue I love Goji Berry. It helped me to manage energy slumps and adrenal fatigue during my worst days, and sorted out my unstable blood sugar. This has also given me a substantial improvement in my vision, and decreased ‘floaters’ in my visual field.
Other Mare Maia tinctures I’ve enjoyed:
Lemon Balm. The best relief I have found for insomnia is Lemon Balm. Another use has been easing my anxiety, especially that awful nagging depression and worry caused by bartonella, one of the co-infections many lyme disease patients suffer. I’ve also used it to break fevers, especially those associated with babesia. A gentle and soothing remedy.
Roselle. Roselle clears mucous and nasal congestion fast, and reduces fever. I also found it helped with Lyme cystitis, bladder pain, bladder urgency and kidney issues.
If you visit the Mare Maia Store at Etsy or the Mare Maia Facebook page you can check out the many other tinctures they have available. There are all kinds of tinctures for supporting digestion, emotional health, hormones, detoxification, immune system, healing, muscular-skeletal system and general well-being.
The Lovely Offer for My Readers:
I was chatting with my friend Paul yesterday and he made a generous offer. Until July 24, 2015 if you buy two tinctures and mention Cauldrons and Cupcakes or Nicole Cody as the referrer he’ll give you any other tincture free. Naturally, if you were to buy 4 you’d get 2 free. Or buy 6 get 3 free, etc. They ship internationally within 24 hours, and the products are sent registered and trackable.
You can access all of the spagyric tincture products here: Mare Maia Etsy Shop
<3 Thanks Paul and Marissa for making such a kind and lovely offer. As ever, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness on behalf of my community!