Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it. – Naomi Wolf
(image by auslorri)
We often talk about speaking our truth, but how many people even understand what that means? Our truth is that wise part of us that knows who we are, what we need, and what we believe in. It is a personal truth – it differs between individuals, and it often changes over time. What matters most is that we acknowledge this truth, and honour it by being able to voice our ideas, opinions, needs and wants.
If you have trouble asking for help, if you say no when you mean yes and yes when you mean no, if you find it hard to say what you really feel or think for fear of upsetting or offending others, if you worry about being judged or ridiculed for your opinions, or if your voice deserts you altogether when you’re called upon to speak up, it’s time to work on speaking your truth, and we can help do that by balancing and opening the Throat Chakra, an energy centre located near the base of the neck. If you put your hand to your throat you’ll automatically gravitate to it.
The Throat Chakra governs the throat, mouth, gums, teeth, thyroid, neck, shoulders, arms and hands – we can hold a lot of tension here from not speaking and honouring our truth. We can bite down or even choke on all of our unexpressed thoughts and emotions. Do a little check of these areas. Is there any tension, constriction or pain? Yoga can help enormously with freeing up the energy here. (See the youtube clip below)
When our Throat Chakra is open and balanced we are excellent communicators – with good listening skills, strong non-verbal communications and a clear speaking voice. We speak our truth – we hear, acknowledge and express that inner voice. We will also have access to our intuition and, for some people, the ability to connect into telepathic and channeling abilities. (Stay tuned to my website for information on courses to help develop intuitive and psychic skills – I’ll be uploading new dates this week.)
If the Throat Chakra is closed down or unbalanced we can suffer anxiety, frustration, low
immunity, poor or no boundaries, and an inability to ask for help or have our needs met.
This may be expressed outwardly as anger, criticism or judgment. It may be expressed inwardly as fatigue, overeating and other addictions, self abuse in many forms, and not saying what we mean or feel for risk of hurting, angering, upsetting or offending others.
We might do too much talking and not enough listening, we can’t be told, we are nervous talkers, we fill the silences with words, we talk but don’t do enough doing or acting, we disclose too much, we have a lack of discernment in sharing information, we overcommit and overpromise, we ‘spin’ to make people feel good. We swallow down our feelings and truths and they get lodged in the lower chakras, causing further blockages and lack of flow.
5 steps to help us find and speak our truth:
- Journalling is a terrific way to explore our thoughts and beliefs, both the conscious and the unconscious ones. Listen to the guided meditation in Step 5 and then write in your journal, allowing yourself to just write stream of consciousness.
- Take small steps – say no without justifying your answer to something minor that you don’t want (or yes, to something small that you do), eg – ‘no more for me, thanks’ when a friend tries to get you to eat an extra helping and you would have done it just to be polite, or ‘yes please’ when you are offered the last piece of something when you would normally have declined, even though you wanted it.
- Bee Breath Meditation (We’ll cover this tomorrow!) A great activity for freeing up the energy of the Throat Chakra.
- Singing – it doesn’t matter how or even what you sing. Just use your voice, and do it with expression, energy and joy. Or anger or any other emotion you need to get ‘out’. Your words don’t have to match the music. If you really struggle to speak your truth and find this very confronting, start with the youtube clip below. It’s a kids’ song, with lots of movements that free up and energise the throat chakra area. Sing along and do the actions, even if you feel silly. Then have a big drink of water afterwards. Brilliant!
- Guided meditation – I’ve recorded a simple ten-minute guided meditation to help you work with the energy of your throat chakra. Listen by clicking on the link below.
Win a Throat Chakra healing necklace
I’ve made a beautiful healing necklace, using crystals and colours to heal, energise and balance the Throat Chakra. The gorgeous stones include blue lace agate, lapis lazui, sodalite, blue fluorite, turquoise, tourmalinated quartz, chrysocolla, howlite, peruvian opal, amethyst, pearls and other pretties, with sterling silver clasps. Deliciousness! I have charged it up and programmed it up in a special meditation, filling it with energy and intention that you may speak your truth with courage, conviction, integrity, authority and joy.♥
All you need to do to win this necklace is to add a comment to this blog post. When I’ve received 50 comments I’ll choose a winner and notify them via this post and by their email address. (No need to publish your email address – your details will be visible to me as the author of this site.) If I receive more than 50 comments in 24 hours I’ll draw from that entire pool. If it takes more than 24 hours, 50 will be my cut-off point. Good luck! Nicole xx
And the winner is... Michelle Birkett Congratulations! ♥