This meditation is based upon a yoga practice called “Bhramari”. It is a meditation where you hum like a bee!!!
Over time, this meditation will help to clear mucous in the throat and widen any constrictions, balance and lower blood pressure, normalize the endocrine system, and settle insulin and cortisol spikes that are our body’s fight or flight response. It is a terrific practice for anyone with thyroid issues, and can be done by anyone, regardless of their age or health. It’s also great for hesitant speakers.
Bee Breath creates a healing vibration within the body, aids sleep, promotes blood flow to the brain, and calms anger and anxiety. It also boosts your energy without making you ‘hyper’ because it is a grounding practice.
Kids love it too, and you can do it on your own, or as part of a group. In a group meditation the group will create sounds that are truly grounding and uplifting, and which can facilitate great healing and release.
To do the meditation:
1. Sit comfortably with a straight spine. It doesn’t matter if this is cross legged, on a chair, or even on your bed! Put your hands on your knees, palms down.
2. Relax and bring your focus to your breath. Just be aware of the natural rhythm of your breath, don’t force it. Let your breath bring you to a place of greater calm within your body.
3. Now that you feel a little more relaxed, take a breath in. On the outbreath, keep your mouth shut and your teeth together and make a humming sound. You can be as loud or as quiet as you want. In fact it’s fun to vary the loudness.
4. Keep breathing in, in silence, and breathing out with humming until you really build up a vibration in your skull. Eventually you can fill your whole body up with vibration. It feels weird at first but stick with it.
5. Build up from a minute or two to start with. If you feel dizzy, stop! Start again tomorrow. Over time, doing ten minutes a day of this meditation will bring about great results.
Here’s a 3 minute recording I made to get you started:
And as promised, here’s the picture of Bert, Italian Leather Boot Destroyer, adding his own special energy to the background of that meditation.