“Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.” Joseph Cambell
We are spiritual BEings, and when we begin to understand this, and to discover and honour this connection to Soul and to Source, miracles begin to happen. There are many ways to nurture our Soul, and to develop our Spiritual and Psychic gifts. ( I’ll list a few of them here, but I’ll also explore this theme in future blog posts.)
Have you seen the bumper sticker that says “We are all Spiritual Beings having a Human Experience”. If you’re reading this, chances are that you are awakening to your own Spiritual Self. I remember when I first began to be aware of my own Spirituality. It was an exciting and difficult time in my life. It was also confusing, because I had little direction and did not know where to begin.
We don’t become Spiritual, because we already are. Acknowledging our spiritual aspect is actually just a step towards balance and wholeness in our lives. But how do we do this?
If you want to get fit and healthy, you change your lifestyle and start to exercise. As your body becomes accustomed to these changes it responds by being able to do more, by replacing fat with muscle and energising you. There’s not much difference with developing spiritual “fitness”. It involves lifestyle choices and committing to exercises that help you to find and strengthen your spiritual and psychic self. Here’s some to get you started:
- Wake up happy. If you are not happy keep working on feeling good. Don’t get out of bed until you are in a better head-space!!! Stretch in bed, feel good, and surround yourself with white light, drawing it deep into your body. Then seal your aura with a layer of colour, like putting a shell around an egg. Choose the colour you are most drawn to, and know that this will have a benefit for you.
- Meditate – meditation is the act of mindful awareness, and it can take many forms. Here is a simple meditation to try:
- Time in nature – Stand with your bare feet on the ground, and feel the energy of the Earth anchoring and grounding your body. Feel the sun, sky or moon and stars above you, radiating cosmic energy that enters from the top of your head. Sit leaning against a tree and feel its wise energy nurture you. Watch birds or animals and seek wisdom and messages from them.
- Journal – Daily writing helps to create a space for self-knowledge, healing and contemplation. More tips on that here.
- Daily card or rune – Choose some runes or a deck of spiritual or inspirational cards such as Angel Cards or Osho Zen Tarot. Each day close your eyes, offer up a prayer for guidance and then choose one card and let its wisdom enrich your understanding by giving you new perspectives.
- Eat to lift your vibration – The fresher the food, the higher its vibration. Favour organic, seasonal, minimally processed and cruelty-free. Drink lots of water too!
- Get plenty of rest – When we are rested we are calmer, and more able to hear our inner wisdom.
- Say no to drugs, and limit consumption of alcohol, caffeine, sugar and any form of chemical additive. Things that alter your consciousness or hype you up also disconnect you from clarity, reality, soul wisdom and Spirit.
- Be discerning about your choice of sexual partners. Sexual intimacy opens up the energy fields of the parties involved, and there is great transference of energy between you. People who lead a lifestyle of lack of regard for their physical and emotional well-being, who take drugs, consume lots of alcohol, and indulge in promiscuity, negative and violent thinking will have unbalanced energy, or worse. When you have sex you open yourself up to all of this. Is this what you want to knowingly expose yourself, your home and loved ones to?
- Call on God, your Angels and Guides. None of us is ever alone. There is love and wisdom all around us, and all we ever have to do is ask, and then stay open to that guidance.
- Trust your intuition – it’s like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets!
- Live in the moment – Here is where your power is. Not in the past. Not in the future. Be present in the here and now.
- Be brave – love deeply.
- Ask for teachers to come into your life – this might be in the form of books, friends, workshops, mentors. Go with what you are drawn to and discard the rest.
- Love and approve of Yourself as you are NOW!