Someone commented recently on how lucky I was to have such an awesome life, and that having my life would make anyone happy. I told them that happiness was a choice.
Fact is, I AM happy most of the time, and more and more my life is beginning to be shaped in pleasing ways. But all of this has been by deliberate creation. And there are still many things in my life that are challenging, and sometimes downright devastating, be it health issues, floods and droughts, deaths of friends, family or livestock. None of us are immune to pain and suffering.
I came to a realisation years ago, that I could either focus on the good things or focus on the bad. And focusing on the good helped me feel better. Feeling better helps you climb out of the hole. When you feel good you are magnetic to more good. When you feel bad and ooze that vibration of misery and gloom, more of that stuff seems to come your way.
So, understanding that happiness is a choice, a discipline as much as a philosophy, has helped me to heal, to heal relationships, to attract more love and friendship into my life. I’m not saying it’s easy to choose happiness, but it’s ALWAYS better than the alternative.
Time for some self reflection. Take your journal, and over the next few weeks carefully and honestly answer the following questions?
- Who supports me in my life?
- What have I always been good at?
- What activities or things make me feel good about myself? How often do I experience these?
- Does my home environment reflect who I am?
- Does my work environment reflect who I am?
- How can I make small changes to help my surroundings mirror the inner me?
- Who erodes my sense of self? How do they do this? What can I do about it?
- What six small things can I do right now, in this next week, to reflect my inner worth and personality?
- What ten things have I always wanted to do, and that will be beneficial to my Soul and Sense of Self, but that I have not done yet?
Now use these answers to start making some changes. Thinking is always useful, but DOING is what makes the difference!
Sending much love to you, ♥ Nicole xx
Actually, Nickelback sum it up pretty well…