“Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” ~ Ralph Marston
No one does this journey we call life on their own. So many people contribute to our well-being, our growth, and our happiness. Some of these people we will form close relationships with, others we may never meet in person, and some we may never even hold awareness of.
The human heart is wired to be kind, to be helpful, to be compassionate. Look at any natural disaster and you’ll see how humans open up their hearts and do all they can to help their fellow man.
For all of us, at times, life can be challenging or even downright hard. It’s amazing how a sincere thank you, a kind word, a genuine appreciation can lift another soul up, and give them something of real value that may change their day, or even their whole life.
Then there are all of the people in our life who have taught us something, who have shared our laughter and tears, given us a break, dared us to dream and to grow…
And what about the people we rarely think about – those souls who are here to keep us safe, who run our cities and towns, who provide our essential services, clean our offices, mend the roads, polish the floors of our hospitals?
Each of us stands on the shoulders of so many people who have helped us.
So now let’s start our day with the activities that form the foundation of our 30 Day Gratitude Challenge:
Count Our Blessings and Use our Gratitude Rock
If you need a detailed reminder of the process, you can review it here in Day 1 of the Gratitude Challenge.
- List five Blessings in your journal, explaining why you are grateful for each one.
- Count your Blessings off on your fingers, summoning positive emotion and saying Thank You from your heart for each one.
- Find a picture of someone who has been helpful for you, or write their name on a piece of paper. Hold that image or name in your hands and say Thank You for all the help you have given me. I flow love and gratitude to you. Really feel that love and gratitude in your own heart. Then put the paper underneath your Gratitude Rock.
- Tonight before you go to sleep, hold your Gratitude Rock and affirm I am richly Blessed. I have an Abundance of Good in my life. Visualise one thing you have been grateful for today. Swell that positive energy up in your heart like a beautiful golden light, and give a heart-felt Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to the Universe, then imagine a tiny shower of golden light travelling from your heart into your Gratitude Rock.
- Still holding your Gratitude Rock, bless your fellow travellers on this Gratitude Journey by sending them golden light, and saying Thank you. I Bless You. I intend for you Love, Miracles and Abundance. Know that as you are saying this for them, they are also saying this for you. Feel that connection and gratitude and know that there is real love and support for you here. Place your rock back beside your bed, and go to sleep, cocooned in this good energy.
If all you do each day is these five steps, know that is enough.
Are you ready for more of a challenge? Today we’re going to practice gratitude for the helpful people in our lives. As we honour and give thanks for the energies of helpfulness and kindness in our lives, we attract more people who will happily support us. And it’s through that flow of co-operative energy that everything gets done in this Universe!
Helpful people are everywhere…
Some of our greatest blessings are the acts of generosity of others in our lives. Helpful people are everywhere. Stop for a moment today and run a slideshow of some of the helpful people from your own life.
They could be small moments, like someone letting you step ahead of them in a taxi queue, or offering you a lift in the rain. The friendly cafe worker who always gives you the biggest muffin. The book store owner who rings to let you know they tracked down an out-of-print edition for you.
They could be bigger moments – a nurse sitting with you after their shift has finished because you’re frightened or in pain, and they couldn’t go home until you were comfortable; a teacher mentoring you towards a bigger goal when you didn’t believe in yourself, and helping you over the line.
Sometimes the help is so big it’s hard to get your head around. The relative who loans you the money when there is nowhere else to turn. The donor who gives their organs for you or someone you love. The person who gives you the job when you and they both know there are better candidates, but you are on the bones of your arse and this is your last chance… The person who puts your name forward, and because of their actions plucks you from career obscurity and puts you on the road to success. The arts foundation who run the mentoring program you’re selected for that changes your life. The friend/lover/family member who never gives up on you.
As you think of them, hold love and gratitude in your heart and say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
And as you go through your day today, offer genuine and heart-felt thanks to those around you for the many small acts of helpfulness that flow through our lives, usually unnoticed. Look them in the eye and say Thank You when they hand you your mail, make your coffee, punch your bus ticket, bag your groceries, clear your plates, hold the door for you, help you with dinner.
The more we acknowledge helpful people in our lives, the more they show up and support us. The Universe, our Guides and Angels can only work through us and those around us.
Wishing you a day filled with kindness, gratitude and small miracles. May you be an Angel in someone else’s life today. May Angels show up in yours. Bless ♥ xx