“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
~ Charles M. Schulz
Yesterday, after I blogged about gratitude, I blogged about food. I realised that I just couldn’t go 30 days without sharing one of my other great loves.
It’s so easy to be grateful for food, and the food related moments in our lives. When I look back through my own life I think of my mother, painstakingly turning cupcakes into mice and pirates and pigs for my seventh birthday party.
I think of carrying my precious home-made wedding cake balanced on my knee as I travelled by canoe from the island where our tiny plane had landed to the island of Gizo in the Solomon Islands where I got married.
I think of the amazing cup of hot chocolate I enjoyed on the terrace in Gubbio, Italy, and the incredible tappas and sangria I enjoyed on a sun-soaked afternoon in Barcelona.
I think of the coffee at my favourite cafe in Byron Bay, or of scones and mugs of tea on the veranda at my farm.
Nana teaching me to make scones, Marga teaching me to make the perfect plum pudding, Mum teaching me how to make boiled fruit cake. BBQs and dinner parties with friends. How much food, and love, and happiness are intertwined in my mind….
Food is indeed a great source of gratitude.
Counting Our Blessings and Using our Gratitude Rock
If you need a detailed reminder of our daily process, you can review it here in Day 1 of the Gratitude Challenge.
- List five Blessings in your journal, explaining why you are grateful for each one.
- Count your Blessings off on your fingers, summoning positive emotion and saying Thank You from your heart for each one.
- Take your health request from under your gratitude rock and affirm Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for the Gift of _____________ in my life. Know that this gift is finding ways to express itself in your life and that you are becoming magnetic to this gift of health. Really feel that positive energy in your heart.
- Tonight before you go to sleep, hold your Gratitude Rock and affirm I am richly Blessed. I have an Abundance of Good in my life. Visualise one thing you have been grateful for today. Swell that positive energy up in your heart like a beautiful golden light, and give a heart-felt Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to the Universe, then imagine a tiny shower of golden light travelling from your heart into your Gratitude Rock.
- Still holding your Gratitude Rock, bless your fellow travellers on this Gratitude Journey by sending them golden light, and saying Thank you. I Bless You. I intend for you Love, Miracles and Abundance. Know that as you are saying this for them, they are also saying this for you. Feel that connection and gratitude and know that there is real love and support for you here. Place your rock back beside your bed, and go to sleep, cocooned in this good energy.
If all you do today is these five steps, know that is enough.
If you’d enjoy working with an additional challenge, here it is!
Today, treat yourself to a favourite food. It might be a trip down memory lane to a favourite meal from your childhood, a visit to a cafe or restaurant, or a dish you keep for special occasions or visitors. You might even ask your mum or your grandmother to bake something for you!
As you eat your food savour it with all of your senses. Really pay attention to how it smells; how it looks on the plate; the texture, temperature and taste on your tongue. Enjoy each mouthful. Take time to appreciate not just the food but the surroundings, and the company if you have any. Allow yourself to take pleasure from your meal.
When you have eaten, say Thank You to the person or people who have prepared and served your food. Say Thank You to the farmers and all the unseen helpers who have helped bring this meal to you. And remember – Thank You to the Universe for the abundance that is all around you.
I sincerely hope you enjoy today’s challenge. Bless ♥ xx