“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
~ Charles Dickens
“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”
~ John Holmes
Welcome to Week Two of my Letter Writing Challenge. For six weeks, every Monday, I am posting a theme and ideas, and asking you to pen a short (or long!) letter to someone, and then pop it in the post or otherwise deliver it to them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your favourite pen or writing implement
- Writing paper, cards or postcards
- A small crystal or stone
- Between five and thirty minutes each week to sit down and write your letter.
Are you ready? Let’s go!
Read the instructions through once, and then complete the activity.
This Week’s Theme : The Letter of Support and/or Encouragement
Start by holding your crystal or stone in your hands. Close your eyes, and build an energy of gratitude in your heart. Feel your heart swell with emotion. Pour that energy of gratitude into the crystal and then continue to sit in meditation for a minute or two longer. Open your heart and then think about a person who could really use a kind word, some support or encouragement right now. It could be a public figure, a friend, a family member, or someone in your community. They might be going through a hard time , or they might be reaching out to do something that is pushing their boundaries. Trust that the person you think of first will be the right person for today’s activity.
Once you have been guided to a person, sit for a further minute and be open to words, images or feelings that might help you with your letter.
Now take out your paper and pen and write to them. Pour your feelings of support or encouragement onto the page. Know that you’ll find good words, and that your words will help them, and let them know that someone cares.
You could use a note card, a postcard, or a piece of paper. Go with what feels right to you.
Remember to sign your name when you are done.
Life can be an uphill climb sometimes. Knowing that someone is standing in support of us can mean the world.
Here are some suggestions for people who might benefit from your kind words:
- A new parent
- Someone going through an illness
- Someone whose efforts or sacrifice made a difference to you or to the world
- A person who is studying
- A public figure you admire who is working to bring about change
- Someone who has lost a friend, a partner, a child, a pet
- Someone who is learning something new
- Someone coping with loss
- A person who has made a mistake
- Someone starting a new business
- Servicemen and women
- Someone with a really big goal
- Someone who is starting over
- A person who is ending something
- A person in changed or challenging circumstances
- An immigrant or new arrival in your country or town
- Someone who has achieved something to be proud of
- Someone who tried, and failed
When your note is finished, post it off, hand deliver it, or leave it where you know it will be found and read.
If it is not us who will encourage and support, then who?
Lots of love, Nicole xx
PS: If you want to share what you’ve done, pop over to our facebook page and say hi, and share away!
Missed the start of the Challenge?
You can go back and catch up here: