“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”
~ Elizabeth Gilbert,
Welcome to Week Four of our journal challenge. If you missed the start you can go here to catch up on the tools you’ll need, and to find links to previous weeks.
This week, starting on August 23, has a creative freshness to it. There’s a sense of hope here, but also a real need for honest exploration of possibility.
So many times we say to ourselves, or others, I don’t know what I want…
But is that really true? I don’t think so. I believe the heart always knows what it wants. The problem is that we are taught to stop listening to those whispers and instead to make decisions based upon logic, duty, practicality, ability, finances, the needs of others, the need for approval, fear of failure, worrying about how we might be judged, etc etc.
We get so lost in our heads that we can’t seem to hear those whispers anymore.
This week we’re being encouraged to tune back in. For some of us it will mean picking up the long-neglected threads of old ideas and dreams. For others it will be a chance to truly explore a current theme or idea that won’t leave us alone. And a few of us will find that when we get really quiet, and remove all the perceived obstacles, that our direction or passion was there all along, just waiting for us to notice it properly and give it our full attention.
Are you ready?
Weekly Structure Reminder
Each week of this nine week challenge will follow the same format:
- We will begin with the short guided meditation for the week, using your guidance stone. During this meditation you’ll be given a colour to work with for the week, and a word or phrase.
- We will choose an oracle card to give us inspiration and direction for the week ahead
- We will spend ten minutes (or more if desired!) to complete our weekly journal prompt.
- We will spend a few moments at the end of our day in gratitude.
1. Guided Meditation
Take your guidance stone and sit or lie quietly. Then simply follow the sound of my voice. You’ll need seven minutes.
When the meditation is complete, write down your power colour and your power word or phrase in your journal.
- How can you use your Power Word this week? Write a few ideas, based on your word. Trust whatever comes and write it down. Don’t overthink it.
- What does your Colour mean to you? What words or ideas does it provoke? Write them down. This week, use this colour to boost your energy. Shut your eyes for thirty seconds and breathe it into your body whenever you feel a bit flat or low. Wear it as clothing. Choose flowers in your colour. Eat food that colour. Be creative with it.
2. Oracle Card
Take your cards, offer up a small prayer that whatever you do be for your Highest Good, and then shuffle the deck. As you’re shuffling, ask the question‘What do I most need to focus on this week?’ Say it out loud or hold it as a thought in your head. Either will work.
Choose one card. How you choose is up to you. Split the deck. Fan them out. Top or bottom. Dive right in. There is no right or wrong.
Now look at your card and hold your guidance stone in your non-writing hand. Really look at the card. Don’t use the book or the ‘proper’ meaning. We are being intuitive here, people! What stands out for you in the picture? What thoughts and ideas do the images provoke? Take a minute or two and write those thoughts down. I know, you might feel like you’re just making it all up. That’s okay. Write anyway. Trust that there is a part of you that is wise and that has been waiting for this chance to speak with your conscious mind.
I am encouraged by my own oracle card for this week. It fills me with hope, and helps me to keep plugging away at things that are important to me. I am also reminded to rest, and replenish, in order that my life and work be sustainable. Here’s the first part of this week’s journal:
3. Week Four Journal Prompt
There are three prompts this week. You can choose any or all of them:
- Think back to a time in your life when it felt like things were just beginning, or opening out in front of you. A time when you were positive and felt good about things. Or at a time when you feel like you may have made a choice for all the wrong reasons. Use the following journal prompt: If I had my time over, starting from here I would… To help get yourself into that space, you might like to make a playlist of songs from that time period. Listening to them will help the flow of emotions and heart whispers.
- Imagine that you won lotto. Enough money that you would never have to work again. Enough money that all your needs could be met. Suddenly there would be no excuses. Just sit for a moment or two and think about it, as if it has really happened. In this place of financial freedom, what will you do? Where will you go? Then use this journal prompt to get started: Now that there is nothing stopping me, and I can get all the help and support I need, I’m going to…
- And this last challenge? Read on, and you’ll know if this is for you! You have an idea that you can’t shake. Maybe in the middle of being a Dentist you start thinking of Art School. I mean REALLY thinking about Art School. You become a closet hoarder of Art School brochures, you haunt their on-line curriculum, and while you spend your days peering into people’s mouths, part of you is dreaming about how different your life could look. Or you wake up thinking about Peru. Of all places! Your whole life Peru hasn’t even been on the radar and now it’s everywhere. There are posters of Peru in the Travel Agent’s window, your friend lends you a book about Peru, there’s a show about it on the Discovery Channel. Your dreams are filled with llamas and Machu Picchu. You can’t explain why, but suddenly you have an overwhelming urge to go there.It’s known in my world as ‘The Call’. Maybe it’s God. Spirit. Angels. Your wise Higher Self. Guides. Your own heart… Whatever it is, it’s calling you, and it won’t let up.Art School. Peru. Walking across Spain. Entering that competition. Calling your friend from College all those years ago. That idea for the book/TV show/film/restaurant/rock band/charity/house makeover/epic adventure. You find the seed of a strange and unexpected idea inside you, that grows into something bigger. It gets reflected back to you from all angles. Waking, sleeping and everything in-between – there it is. The Call.And in my experience, when you follow that Call, life begins to gift you all manner of support, synchronicity, helpful people and lucky breaks. If this is happening to you, use this prompt: It’s crazy, but I can’t stop thinking about (insert whatever it is right here) and it’s making me realise that maybe…
How much you write is up to you. Do this once, or write a little every day. Whatever works for you. Hold your guidance stone in your non-writing hand or place it on your lap or beside you while you write.Genuinely seek to connect with what matters to you.
You’ll know when you’ve written enough.
Here’s my beginnings. I expect to write quite a lot more as I explore these prompts during the week:
Using the Gratitude Rock:
The Gratitude Rock anchors positive energy and gratitude at the end of every day. You can carry your stone with you, or leave it beside your bed. At night, before you go to sleep, hold your Gratitude Rock in your hand.
As you hold the stone say to yourself I am richly Blessed. I have an Abundance of Good in my life. Then hold in your mind one or more image of a thing you have been grateful for today. Swell that positive energy up in your heart like a beautiful golden light, and give a heart-felt Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to the Universe. Visualise a tiny shower of golden light travelling from your heart into your Gratitude Rock.
Now here’s the fun bit – imagine all of the other people who are taking part in this journalling challenge with you. Once again build up a strong positive energy in your heart, and then imagine shooting a stream of golden light out into the Universe to those people.
Say Thank you. I Bless You. I intend for you Love, Miracles and Abundance. Know that as you are saying this for them, they are also saying this for you. Feel that connection and gratitude and know that there is real love and support for you here. Place your rock back beside your bed, and go to sleep, cocooned in this good energy.
Happy exploring through words this week! Let your Power Word and colour guide you. Think on the wisdom you’ve taken from your oracle card. Use it all! And remember to pop over to facebook and let us know how you’re going. I always love to hear from you.
Much love, Nicole <3 xx