“Summertime is always the best of what might be.”
~ Charles Bowden
It’s summertime in Australia right now, one of my favourite times for fruits and simple foods. This rice dish is a firm favourite – it makes for great breakfast eating, but can also serve as a dessert. The one in the picture is dressed up with some extra flavours but the pudding is delicious on its own too. I use coconut cream or coconut yogurt so this is a sugar-free, soy free and dairy-free meal.
I make this pudding with brown rice and no cane sugar, but I’ll give a few variations in case that kind of eating is not your thing.
The pudding will keep in the fridge for one week, and can be eaten warm or cold. Not summer in your part of the world? Use good quality frozen or canned fruit instead!
- 1 cup of brown rice and quinoa mix (or use 3/4 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup quinoa)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 to 3 cups of stonefruit, berries or a mixture of both. Cut stonefruit in halves or quarters. If the stonefruit is a clingstone (ie won’t separate easily from the pit) score the fruit into halves or quarters but leave intact. The fruit will cook beautifully and you can just remove any pits later.
- a few drops of stevia or your favourite non-sugar sweetener, or a couple of tablespoons of cane sugar
- Juice of half a lemon or lime (optional but it really freshens up the flavour)
Substitutions – use white rice and cut cooking time by ten to fifteen minutes
I often throw on any or all of the following
- Coconut cream
- Yogurt or coconut yogurt
- Maple syrup
- Fresh berries
- Pepitas, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, almonds, cashews or your choice of favourite seeds and nuts
- Place the rice in a large saucepan that has a close-fitting lid and then add the water. Add any sweetener you are using. If you are using stone fruit place the fruit on top of the rice.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is soft and well cooked.
- If using berries, add these ten minutes before final cooking time.
- To finish add the lemon or lime juice and stir well.
Place into bowls and add your choice of topping. Eat and enjoy!