“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
~ Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
Do you love to read?
In January of 2017 a group of us embarked on the inaugural Cauldrons and Cupcakes Reading Challenge. It was a fine year of reading, friendship and sharing of our love of stories and all things book-related. Now, in 2018, with a successful Challenge already completed, it’s time to embark on a new year of reading adventures.
This year the Cauldrons and Cupcakes Team has decided to nominate Pencils of Promise as the charity we’ll be supporting through our Book Reading Challenge. Pencils of Promise build schools in the developing world, train teachers, and support kids and communities to be able to access education. In 2018 more than 1 in every ten children around the world is illiterate and in developing countries, that figure is 1 in 3. I’m hoping that our loyal blog community can change that, and help provide opportunities for some of those kids to be able to read, write and learn so that their lives can open out in front of them in more meaningful ways.
Would you like to join us? Let me explain the Challenge to you:
It involves four simple steps:
- Read or otherwise consume a book, short story or journal article each month. You might borrow a book from the library, or buy one. It might be gifted to you, or it might have been waiting for you in some pile beside the bed since who knows when. It could be an e-book or an audio-book. It can be any kind of book, story or article at all. A novel, a romance, crime, children’s or young adult’s, a non-fiction book like a memoir or a cookbook or a travel book. It could be a graphic novel. A comment piece, investigative journalism, or even a textbook.
- Post the name of the book, story or article you are currently reading or listening to here or have finished during the month on the blog or over on our Cauldrons and Cupcakes Facebook or Instagram page. Feel free to suggest any books, stories, articles or audiobooks that you have already read and enjoyed. That way you’ll be adding to a list of resources that we can all dip into and choose from. I love finding new reading recommendations!
- Sign up to become a Team Member of the Cauldrons and Cupcakes Fundraising Team for Pencils of Promise. Here’s the link for you to join.
- Download the Book Tracker. Each month write the name of any book/story/article you have read in the corresponding month. It’s fine to add more than one. Then add a small amount of money to a jar for each book you read or go directly to Pencils of Promise and make a donation there. It doesn’t have to be much. Whatever you can afford will be great. Here’s the Book Tracker for you to download – just click on this link: BOOK-TRACKER-3. There’s a space for you to write down your reading wish list. Then start filling in the Monthly Tracker when you’ve read your first book.
- During the year I will put up a Book Challenge Post on the fourth Saturday of every month so that we can discuss the books and stories we’ve read or listened to, and swap ideas and reviews. I’ll also be asking you to donate the money you set aside from your completed books and stories to Pencils of Promise. When you donate that money is up to you. Just make sure you have registered as a team member first. It will feel great to help someone else to experience the pleasure and comfort that reading brings. The world needs more readers. If you want to team up for this challenge that’s a great idea too!
- During the year we will also be holding a Read-A-Thon so that you can get your family, friends and workmates to sponsor you for the books and stories you read or listen to. It will be a great way for you to indulge in some reading for a good cause, and to raise some extra money towards our goal.
Download this: BOOK-TRACKER-3
I’d love you to get your friends involved, so please feel free to share this post far and wide.
All year we will practice kindness to ourselves by reading.
At year’s end, and at various points before that, we will pass some of that kindness on to someone else in the form of a donation to help Pencils of Promise deliver more readers and writers to the world.
So, that’s our Reading Challenge for 2018. Want to join us? Go add your name below, join our Fundraising Team and don’t forget to let us know what books have you been reading or listening to this past month.
And now for June…
Let’s end the month off with the list of books, stories, articles and audiobooks we’ve already enjoyed in June.
I’ve had a crazy busy month, so my reading time has been limited. I read ‘Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I’ve Loved’ by Kate Bowler – it’ a memoir about Kate’s journey after being diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. At turns hilarious and heartbreaking, Kate shares her journey of grief as she contemplates her own mortality. Although the subject matter seems depressing Kate’s faith, humour and faith shine thought, and most importantly I found it a life and love affirming book in the very best of ways.
I also devoured a couple of audio books – ‘The Thank You Economy’ by Gary Vaynerchuck was published in 2011, so it’s not a recent release, but I love Gary V’s work and if you are an entreprenuer this book is fantastic for understanding and navigating the digital age. I also listened to ‘Believe Me – My Battle with the Invisible Disability of Lyme Disease’ by Yolanda Hadid. As a fellow Lyme disease sufferer I found myself nodding along at the absurdity of our situation, suffering from a disease that is little understood (and even worse is Australia, is denied to exist!). Yolanda has done a brilliant job of documenting her symptoms and life – and it’s a tool against the naysayers who thought she was faking her illness. She also covers many treatment options and ideas, and manages to infuse her book with an upbeat hope.
I’m really keen to hear what you’ve been reading or listening to as well!
Go ahead and tell us in the comments below, or pop over to Facebook and join me there.
Lots of love, Nicole ❤ xx
2 thoughts on “Join our Book Reading Challenge for June 2018”
Hi Nicole, I started a book club at school this month. We started by reading Eleanor oliphant but now we are going a bit deeper with The handmaids tale and the red garden. We each recommend all time faves and draw a few titles out to be books of the month. In addition to this, I just listened to The lyrebird which was a delightful story of a woman who could mimic sounds. I finally can contrentate on audio books. I’m now listening to Women in the Window. I’m also reading The Reluctant Yogi which is fun.
I would love to join in with your book club 😀- I’d love to Find out more about how I can help the charity. As a teachers and active doer I’m sure there is more I can do than just give money.
Thanks for sharing xx
This was a month for celebrating writing for me…my first novel, “The Golden Feather,” was released on Amazon just two weeks ago! I’m counting it here because I’ve read it approximately 78 bazillion times, including one last proof this month. If anyone is looking for a sweet, funny fantasy adventure about a sassy, kind hearted princess who skips school to embark on a quest to save a goddess, I hope you’ll give it a try. Along the way, she uses crystals and hears an oracle and communicates with animals…facing fears and becoming a leader. My daughter and I also re-read Harry Potter book 2 this month.