I think preparing food and feeding people brings nourishment not only to our bodies but to our spirits. Feeding people is a way of loving them, in the same way that feeding ourselves is a way of honoring our own createdness and fragility.Shauna Niequist
This is one of my easy go-to meals when I am tired and want something that is nurturing, filling and flavoursome.
Kedgeree was originally a dish of spiced lentils, onions, garlic, ginger and rice, known as kitchiri. It was a common breakfast dish in India, and it became a favourite with colonialists who altered the recipe over time. I make a variation on kedgeree when I have cooked rice and vegetables to hand, a hard-boiled egg and some salmon. It’s comfort food in a bowl, and it is delicious and sustaining.
I cook up plenty of brown rice at the beginning of the week, and cook vegetables which I can add to the rice. This week I cooked up sweet corn, zucchini, carrot, peas, and cauliflower. My ratio is 50:50 rice to vegetables. It makes a quick meal base for so many things! I also prepare hard-boiled eggs for fast meals or protein-rich snacks. Add fish to this, a little onion and curry and you have kedgeree.
I often cook up extra salmon fillets so I can have some to use during the week, but canned salmon works just as well.
I hope you enjoy this simple tasty meal. It’s good served warm, and equally delicious cold.
Hugs and love, Nicole xx
Ingredients to serve 2
- 1/2 cup (or 100g) cooked or canned salmon
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more, to taste)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked vegetables
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped
- a lemon cut into wedges
- a grind of cracked black pepper
- Cut an onion in half and then into slices. Add these to a large frypan over medium heat with the butter and oil, and stir until soft.
- Add the curry powder and fry off for a minute or so, stirring well.
- Add the cooked rice and vegetables, stir well and heat for two minutes.
- Dump in the flaked salmon and stir through.
- Sprinkle chopped egg and parsley over the top, and give a good grind of cracked black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges. Squeeze the fresh lemon over the top before eating.