Green anything for breakfast sounds a little odd. But just as Sam-I-Am finally discovered that he liked Green Eggs and Ham, you might be persuaded that my Green Porridge recipe is just as delicious. When you imagine porridge, most people think of a creamy bowl of oats topped prettily with fruit… My offering today may not look so appealing, but I promise it packs a nutritional punch, and will get your day off to a great start. Green porridge is a super-food concoction of body-supporting nutrients that are gentle on the digestive system and that will nurture and heal you.
Oats are a fantastic food – full of soluble and insoluble fibre, magnesium and low-glycemic carbs. They fill you up, give you consistent energy and also make the perfect delivery system for any number of nutritional add-ins.
Ingredients for one serve: You can start with smaller quantities of all of the add-ins if you prefer, or be brave and dive right in!
- 1/2 cup of organic rolled oats (don’t use quick oats!) and 1 cup of water. Using this ratio you can adjust your quantities as necessary
- a pinch of Celtic or Himalayan salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower Seed and Almond Mix – pre-ground). If you can’t buy this locally, here’s a simple recipe so you can make some and keep it to hand: LSA Recipe LSA is high in protein and is helpful for detoxing and supporting your liver. I use it daily, and it makes a great addition to smoothies, salads, and even sprinkled over your steamed vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil or Udo’s Oil (my favourite!). These essential fatty acids support your hormones, brain, skin and hair, immune system, digestive system and metabolism.
- 1 heaped teaspoon of spirulina. This superfood’s benefits include: high in protein, a strong detoxer, anti-candida supplement, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, boosts immune system.
- 1 dessertspoon of blackstrap molasses. This under-appreciated sugar byproduct is chock full of iron and B group vitamins.
- 2 heaped tablespoons of your favourite yogurt (cow, sheep, goat, soy or coconut!)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of your favourite greens powder. I’m currently in love with Udo’s Beyond Greens
- An extra sprinkle of a pro-biotic powder if you are taking antibiotics or have gut health issues
- A teaspoon of Maca powder to help support your adrenals, endocrine system and libido
Method: Add the oats, pinch of salt and the cold water to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir often to prevent sticking. The mixture will thicken in about five minutes. Tip the porridge into a large bowl and then start adding your toppings:
Mix it all together and you get… Green Porridge. Enjoy!