“I like rice. Rice is great if you’re hungry and want 2000 of something. ”
This simple rice-based gluten-free dessert is a modern twist on a family favourite. The pudding is sweet, creamy and has that salty more-ish kick.
It can be easily made using your favourite kind of milk, so vegans and people with food intolerances can enjoy a dessert that everyone else in the household will love too. I often make this recipe with coconut milk, but have also made it with soy milk, rice milk and almond milk. It works well with cows milk too if your tummy likes that kind of milk.
The pudding can be enjoyed warm or cold.
PS – I have also been enjoying adding a few spoonfuls of collagen powder to this recipe. I have a connective tissue disorder, so adding gelatin or collagen hydrolysate to my soups, stews, smoothies and other recipes has helped me to improve my joint, cartilage and ligament health, skin elasticity, gut function, nails and hair. (Obviously, if you are a vegan you would avoid this step as collagen is an animal product.)
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 litre of milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup of coconut blossom sugar (If you can’t find this then use palm sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Extra salt and sugar to taste. Optional: Coconut yoghurt to serve.
- Bring the rice and water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add milk, a little at a time, stirring well.
- Add sugar and stir well. If you are adding collagen powder put it on now and stir well so that it dissolves.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour, stirring occasionally so that rice does not stick to bottom of pan.
- When rice is thick and creamy, and grains of rice are soft add vanilla and salt. Taste and then add more sugar or salt if necessary.
- To serve spoon into bowls. Top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, a drizzle of cream, or your favourite fresh or canned fruits.
This will keep well, covered and refrigerated for up to four days – if it lasts that long!
4 thoughts on “Salted Caramel Rice Pudding Recipe”
Looks delicious! I want some for breakfast!!
It does make an excellent breakfast! 😊💕