Floyd could imagine a dozen things that could go wrong; it was little consolation that it was always the thirteenth that actually happened.Arthur C. Clarke
You know when I said I’d be offline for a FEW days? (Go on, roll around laughing!!!) I’m STILL deep in moving land but I thought I’d give you a quick update. Here it is:
- Our farm settled on 26 February and we had to be out of the cottage by the 28th. We were massively held up by floods, mud and inclement weather, and it came down to the wire, but we managed to get it all packed and moved to the main shed or into storage. We have a month from settlement to clear everything out of the main shed. That’s an undertaking that we are still muddling our way through.
- I organised for the internet and power to be shut off at the farm at the close of day on 28th February. The internet shut off at 6am instead AND the Telco cancelled our internet back in Brisbane too (We still need that one!) It’s still not properly fixed. Sigh.
- Our new treehouse on the Sunshine coast (3.5 hours drive from farm if there is no traffic) settled on Friday 5 March. I was meant to be there for the handover but Ben injured his back on the 3rd so badly that he is on complete bedrest, and now the driving between all properties and all moving stuff has fallen to me. My sister Simone got the keys for me on handover day, so she was the first person to stand in our treehouse post-settlement. I was at the farm supervising our furniture being loaded onto a truck and then had to race to Brisbane to look after Ben, so I didn’t get to the treehouse til Sunday.
- The new fridge AND the first truck of furniture arrived at the treehouse on Monday 8th.
- New Telco screwed up dates so we won’t have internet at treehouse for another week 🙁
- We still have half a shed (the shed is the size of a couple of houses) to clear in the next few weeks and people coming to the farm to pick up farm equipment and things Ben has sold, so I am on the road between the three properties A LOT.
- I need to be at the new coastal treehouse for deliveries of stuff and work being done. I need to pack up the Brisbane house, which currently looks like a storage shed, and divest or move that stuff too. I need to be at the farm.
- Ben is out of action for the next few weeks at least and on light duties after that.
- I have limited internet in only one location and my phone has intermittent service at best at the two other places.
- I am now an expert on dumps, tip shops, charitable organisations, and selling stuff online.
So, yeah, it’s messy. We’re exhausted. But we are managing.
I had my first solo sleep in the treehouse, and it was wonderful (after I got past all the strange noises of being in a new house) and I made the executive decision not to sleep in our new room til Ben can be there too, so I camped on the loungeroom floor. Simone and I are scheduling in some client days over the next few weeks on days where I can manage it but it will be April before things look even remotely like we’ve got it under control enough to say that it’s business as usual…
That’s my update! Thank you SO MUCH for all the lovely thoughts and messages. You guys were right. I had no idea it would be SO BIG to do this move. But it will be worth it.
Okay, I’ve gotta get on the road. Big hugs and love, Nicole xx