“I like rice. Rice is great if you’re hungry and want 2000 of something. ”
~ Mich Ehrenborg
I love this tasty quick rice dish – it’s one of our favourite ways to use up leftover cold rice and cooked vegetables. It’s delicious warm and also great served cold as a salad. It’s also super economical and much better than take-away. The pineapple gives it a wonderful freshness and zing too.
Please don’t keep for longer than a day once made. But that shouldn’t be a problem because it’s so yummy you’ll want to gobble it all up.
I’ve given you a basic recipe below but feel free to make it vegan or vegetarian. Throwing in a handful of cooked prawns (shrimp) is divine, and a handful of lightly toasted cashews or almonds is also a great addition.
- 4 cups cooked cold rice
- 1/2 cup diced ham or cooked bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves of crushed or finely chopped garlic
- 3 to 4 eggs, whisked with a tablespoon of water
- 1 large green pepper, diced,
- 1 cup of other sliced fresh vegetables cooked leftover vegetables or frozen peas/carrot/corn
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or tinned diced pineapple
- 3 spring onions sliced, or a handful of chopped up coriander – or both!
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, two tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice and a dash of chilli sauce (if that’s your thing)- mixed together in a cup
- Select a large deep frypan or saucepan and place over moderate heat.
- Add the oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then pour the egg into the pan and allow it to cook as one flat sheet. When it has cooked through roll up and remove from pan. Cut into small pieces.
- If you are using bacon fry the bacon off first. Then add in the onion, ginger and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Now add in the vegetables if they are uncooked and stirfry gently for another two minutes.
- Add in all other vegetables (except herbs), pineapple, egg, ham if using, and rice. Stirfry for two minutes or until heated through.
- Add the soy mixture and stir through the rice.
- Fold through the spring onion and/or coriander.
- Serve on its own or with the protein of your choice.