“Have you ever been struck by a sudden desire for – soup?”
I love a good bowl of soup, and this one tastes so fresh and light. Plus it’s quick and easy to make, and you can jazz it up or make it more hearty with just a few quick additions.
To me this tastes like summer in a bowl, but it’s good all year round. Although it is very low in carbs and fat, it fills you up. It’s also fabulous served with fresh crusty bread or a few pieces of buttery toast if you’re looking for comfort food.
Love, soup spoons and happiness, Nicole xx
Get the printed recipe here!
- 1 litre of good vegetable stock (you could also substitute chicken stock or bone broth here for a non-vegan alternative)
- 1 x 400g can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini (courgette, summer squash), diced
- handful of chopped parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or oregano
Variations – vegetable
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- any other vegetables in the fridge you want to use up, diced
Variations – protein, to make a simple stew
Choose one of the following:
- 1 x 400g can of drained beans of your choice. Kidney beans, brown lentils or white beans are very good. Cook 40 minutes or until done to your liking.
- 500 g of raw beef diced – add to the stock when you add the vegetables, one tablespoon of tomato paste, a good grind of cracked pepper, a bay leaf, simmer for one hour
- 500g of raw chicken, diced – add to the stock when you add the vegetables, a good grind of cracked pepper, simmer for one hour, lovely with a dash of lemon juice and a good sprinkle of fresh basil at the end of cooking
- Choose a large pot. Add the stock and place over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables.
- Add the protein if you are making a stew.
- Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer. 30 minutes for vegetable soup. Up to one hour for stew.
- Soup will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days, 3 for stews. Freezes well.
One thought on “Simple Vegetable Soup – Low Carb, Quick and Tasty”
Lovely sounding soup…going to get the pot out and see what I have in the fridge🙏