“We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.”
~ Robert Louis Stevenson
After I hooked you all in yesterday with my endlessly fascinating list, I thought I’d better do the right thing and finish it off. Here goes…
- I have been bitten variously by a mean girl at kindergarten, a horse, a goat, a territorial trigger fish (which extracted a perfect disc of skin with each bite) a redback spider (which necessitated a hospital stay), a whip snake (more hospital and anti-venom!), a shark (it was a foot-long Wobbegong and it bit me on the ankle in ankle-deep water – I still bear a scar the size and shape of a sharp fingernail), a cockroach, a cranky sugar-glider, a possum, a garden lizard and a frill-necked lizard. I’ve also been bitten by mosquitoes, march flies, sand flies and ticks. Don’t get me started about ticks.
- Brussel sprouts? Love them! Love them possibly more than ice-cream, so threats about having to eat my Brussel sprouts first before I get to the ice-cream don’t really wash with me.
- I have never harvested enough snow peas from my garden to make a decent meal, because I always eat them before I get them back to the kitchen.
- My first entrepreneurial exercise was a stall selling lemonade and flowers out the front of our suburban home in Brisbane. I was eight and I got the idea from a Nancy Drew book (Nancy was a fictitious child sleuth in the USA, and my personal hero for a number of years!). We were never paid pocket-money as children, so it seemed like a good idea. I picked flowers from the garden and tied them into pretty bunches, mixed lemon juice, sugar and water into a big jug, wrote some signs and then sat there all day waiting to make a sale. Late in the afternoon the elderly neighbour from across the road came out her front door and crossed the street to my stall. I sat up expectantly. ‘Silly girl. Pack that up and go inside,’ she said. ‘We don’t do things like this in Australia.’ That night I prayed with all my might that I would wake up in America the next day. Obviously, that particular prayer was never answered.
- If the television or radio are on, no matter how tired I am I can’t go to sleep. My husband is the reverse. I have stayed awake through many broadcast sports events and been able to give him the highlights later. I don’t even like sports.
How about you? What’s some quirky thing about yourself that you can share?
Lots of love, Nicole xx
6 thoughts on “10 Things You Might Not Know About Me – Part 2”
cockroaches bite.. well I never knew that
We don’t do things like that in Australia! Omg 😊 I also read Nancy Drew. And what on earth is with all the things that have bitten you? I was bitten by a white tail spider on my face when my son was a newborn – that was fairly uncomfortable, but not as bad as it could have been thanks to my naturopath mother.
That is a pretty amazing list – I am glad that lemonade stand was not your last attempt at business.
Oh why did the lady over the road burst your bubble?!? Adults are so stinky sometimes!!! 😝 That sounds so adorable Nicole. Had I been your neighbor I would have bought several lemonades.
What the hell you have been bitten by a lot of bloody things, I use to read Nancy Drew books as a child also
Nancy Drew was one of my heroes too!