“A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.” ~ Douglas Pagels
After I posted about receiving all of the lovely letters and packages in my mail a few days ago (most in response to me being unwell), I had a number of people comment on how lucky I am to have such marvellous friends. And then someone asked me HOW I managed to have ‘those sorts of friends’…
I had to think about it for a minute, but I guess the answer is that I invest time in my friendships. And love. In fact, the question of friendship got me thinking, and led to this list – 10 ways that you can be a friend, because to have a friend you first have to be one:
1. Spend time together. Laugh. Cry. Make memories.
2. Encourage one another, and help your friend to be the best that they can be. Be the cheer squad as they chase their dreams.
3. Be honest, but not unkind. Don’t be afraid to tell the truth, even if it hurts. If a friend can’t tell you, who can?
4. Offer a helping hand, especially in times of trouble. Don’t wait to be asked. Do what’s in your heart. Be thoughtful and considerate.
5. Celebrate life’s good times.
6. Be there in the bad times.
7. Stay in touch. Work through problems and keep showing up. Good relationships take time, and need effort to be maintained.
8. Share. Share your hopes, your dreams, your secrets and your fears. And keep shared confidences locked away safe in your heart. That builds trust, and trust is essential in a good friendship.
9. Listen. Listen with your whole heart. Sometimes all we need is someone to really hear us, and to honour what’s going on for us.
10. Be loyal. Stand up for your friend and your friendship. Support the person even if you can’t support every decision or action they make. Friendships are precious, and they deserve love and care.