“Not everything we experience can be explained by logic or science.”
~ Linda Westphal
I didn’t blog yesterday because I was sleeping in.
I was sleeping in because I’d been up half the night.
There was a reason for that, though. One that extends beyond my current flu and health issues that have been keeping me up.
I’m sleeping in our guest room right now so I don’t infect Ben or wake him with my constant tossing and turning. Somewhere around 2am, as I lay in a deep sleep, our smoke detector went off, shrilling loudly just outside my door. I woke in fright, jumped up, turned on all the lights and ran from room to room looking for the fire. My eyes were all hazy, or the house was filled with smoke. I couldn’t tell.
As I panted from the exertion of running with the flu, madly opening every door in our home to find nothing, the alarm stopped. My vision was still hazy. The waving hand in front of my face a blur. But I couldn’t smell smoke or see flames. It was a false alarm and maybe my eyes were just gummed up from the flu. I hauled myself back to bed, amazed that the alarm hadn’t woken Ben. (It had. He heard me running around and figured I’d wake him if there was a fire, so after a few minutes he rolled over and went back to sleep. That man is unflappable!)
No sooner had I closed my eyes than my phone started to beep. Beep beep beep. Beep beep beep, it called incessantly.
‘Shut up, Siri!’ I croaked as I reached for my phone, which promptly stopped beeping before I could do anything.
A woman I know came to mind. Anna. (*I’ve changed her name here for privacy purposes) Anna lives in another part of Australia with her son who is at university. I became convinced that Anna’s house was on fire. I got up again and rifled through my filing cabinet looking for her contact details. When I couldn’t find them I hacked my personal assistant’s work email and looked for Anna’s contact details there. No luck. Finally, I found her phone number in an old facebook message. Less than ten minutes had elapsed since our home smoke alarm had gone off.
I called Anna. No answer. I called again and again. Nothing. Then I used Facebook video to call her and this time she answered, groggy with sleep and confused.
‘Hello, Anna,’ I said. ‘It’s Nicole Cody. I’m so sorry to bother you in the middle of the night but I think your house might be on fire. Can you please check for me?’
She nodded a yes, got out of bed and made her way through darkened corridors. At the opposite end of the old house, she lives in was her son’s room.
She opened the door and there was the fire. His laptop had set his mattress alight and the curtains were ablaze too. Anna began to scream and dropped the phone.
As I was working out what to do next a next-door-neighbour appeared with a fire blanket and extinguisher. He’d been woken by Anna’s screams, smelled smoke and seen the flames from his own bedroom window and come rushing over. Meanwhile, his wife had called the fire brigade.
Anna called me back a few hours later. The fire was out and the bedroom was damaged but everyone was safe.
Anna was widowed last year and isn’t coping well. When the batteries on her old smoke alarm died she didn’t bother to replace them. That’s something her husband would have done. She has also been relying on alcohol and sleeping tablets to get to sleep each night. Her son was out with friends. If I hadn’t called she would have kept sleeping.
So, that’s why I didn’t blog yesterday. I was busy sleeping off my stressful night. This is how my life always is. No matter where I am, no matter the state of my health or the hour of the day my psychic switch is always on and I’m always on duty. Who made my smoke alarm go off, or my phone beep? I’ll never know, but I’m extremely grateful.
It’s a strange life I live, but a fulfilling one.
Holding you all in my prayers and meditations, Nicole ❤ xx