I received a nomination for my first ever blog award. A bit of a shock considering I’ve only been blogging for a fortnight, but what a wonderful way to start 2012.
I was nominated by the writer of Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars, a blog that celebrates two things dear to my heart; the restorative act of writing, and someone finding the courage to walk a difficult path with honesty and awareness. I recommend a visit, and I want to thank them again for this nomination. It made my day!
The Rules for the Versatile Blogger Award are:
1. Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass this award along to 15 recently discovered blogs you enjoy reading.
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
So here goes! Seven things about me:
1. I live on a farm that is sandwiched between a creek full of platypus and wild ducks, and a river where I like to picnic and barbeque with my neighbours. The river is filled with fish and eels, and I have found many beautiful crystals there.
2. One of my best friends is a fairy. No, really. Her name is Sokli, and she has a cheeky sense of humour, and a great love of life. Angels are well received, and widely believed in, but poor fairies are still considered mythical. I can assure you this is not the case!
3. If I could have any pet I wanted it would be a dragon, or a unicorn. For now I content myself with two dogs, and a paddock full of cows.
4. I love to cook, but more than anything I love to cook for others. I believe in real food; fresh, seasonal, organic and home-grown if possible. I often wonder when farmers and corporations will realise that if it poisons something in the food chain, it’s also going to poison us!
5. I write endless lists, thoughts and plot developments on the backs of envelopes. Writing is a not-so-secret obsession.
6. A giant carpet python lives in the roof, directly above my writing desk. I have become used to his bumps and hisses, and his daily routine of sunning, sleeping and slithery adventures which always start by him snaking his way down the frangipani tree that tucks up against the gutters.
7. I live to dance in my gumboots to radio music from my ute as I check the paddocks. Gumboot dancing is very under-rated. My cows appreciate it, I’m sure…
Recently discovered blogs:
(In no particular order. You’ll see my interests undressed here – writing, soul, writing, life, food, writing…)
- bruises you can touch – poetry from the heart. I love the raw honesty and bravery of this blog by the talented Carly-Jay Metcalfe.
- Zenquill – writing, illustrating and a big dose of heart from Lynn Priestley
- Flying Pony – Pamela Cook’s helpful blog about writing and creativity
- Gifts of Dawn – Linda Scott’s informative and supportive blog about authors and their stories
- Christine Bongers – an Australian writer with a huge generosity of spirit, and a toolkit of helpful writerly advice
- Trent Jamieson – Trent’s funny, warm and a wonderful writer – he mentored me at the 2011 QWC Hachette Manuscript Development Program
- Michael Gerard Bauer – another Australian children’s and young adult writer who engages, makes me laugh and feel and believe…
- Four Ravens – heartfelt musings on life, art, grief and writing
- Heather Blakey’s Soul Food Cafe – the beginning of my journey – I love you, Heather Blakey and your mystical midwifery of would-be writers
- Artist Jen Lester – spiritual and visionary art with a side of intelligent writing. Her pictures never fail to uplift me ♥
- Until it kills me… – Sarah the mortician’s delightful musings on death. And life.
- Hexebart’s Well – Official blog of Kim Wilkins/Kimberly Freeman, an awesome writer and an equally awesome teacher of the craft of writing
- Cody Phillips – Writer’s Life – an up and comer, with a quirky Aussie bloke-humour.
- mamaguilt – crime writing, confessions and much more from one of the my true she-roes, Meg Vann
- The Witches Kitchen – Linda Woodrow’s delicious blog on sustainable living, gardening, permaculture and REALLY good food