“If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.”
~ Masaru Emoto
Someone asked me yesterday how I came to be so strong. And how they could be stronger in facing their own challenges.
I thought deeply on this, and then I made you this list. I hope it helps.
- Let your children fail, be disappointed and be let down. At the same time love them, and help them understand that the Universe does not revolve around them, and that good manners and kindness are important always, and especially so when you are losing while someone else is winning. (Thanks, Mum and Dad ❤)
- Breathe and be in the moment.
Inthe moment you can get through the next second. Inthe moment you are larger and stronger and more hyper-aware, and life can actually be beautiful even as it devastates.
- Maintain relationships. Have a friend to
or a neighbour with whom you can drink tea. Many times my sister has been my lifeline. Online friendships have made phone, the differencewhen I had no energy for face-to-face.
- Cry. And then keep going.
- Sleep. And then keep going.
- Make a serious motivational music mix for those soul emergencies. PLAY IT LOUD.
- Find your faith. That might be God, or nature, or love. It might be the unconditional love of a dog. It might be the stillness of meditation. Visit and sit in that space of faith often.
- Meditation. I do it daily. Even a few minutes help.
- Have gratitude for the small details of life. A good cup of tea, laughing, the smell of salt on the breeze, clean sheets, the shape of a cloud, sunshine or rain.
- Life’s adversity gifts you the opportunity to know yourself better, and to choose how you will behave and think – even when you have little or no control over your situation or the eventual outcome. Step back from yourself, observe and learn. You’ll be amazed at how much strength, grace and courage was always inside you waiting for you to need it.
- Make art, follow your dreams, and do them in the moments when you have some energy. When there is no energy for anything then dwell in your imagination with those dreams. Don’t put them down just because you are broken. We are all broken. Broken people can still live well and get stuff done.
- Live. While there is breath in your lungs and a beating heart in your body stay curious, keep trying, stay open, and live.
You’ve got this. Go surprise yourself. I know you can, and it’s a glorious moment when you realise that you can live happily even when broken, wounded, dying or less than whole.
All my love, Nicole ❤ xx
12 thoughts on “How To Be Strong”
So beautiful and inspiring. I love your list
Timely post indeed…thank you…thank you…Bless YOU
I appreciate this list very much. And I am thinking about it. “Find your faith” resonates deaply within me.
When I could add something it would be this: loving and being loved. I once watched a story in tv about a woman. She wore colourful clothes, designed hats and lead in every way an independent, happy and extraordinary life. I thought: wow, what a woman! Then she told that for a long time she lived in an abusive marriage. Had very hard years. Was insecure, anxious, dependent, sad, invisible. But then she managed to divorce from her husband and met another man. And she said this love gives her so much strength, so much faith (there is no english word for “Urvertrauen”) that she now could live her true self.
I do believe in connection.
I cried with relief when I read this. Thank you!
Thank you Nicole this is another one of your posts I will keep because it came along at just the right time
This list is a keeper and one to share!
To keep the negative mind loops away during my nightly hours of sleeplessness, I anchor love and compassion into the planet. I guess that’s a meditation. It works for me to keep the crappy thoughts from getting any space in my head or heart and it takes no time or energy from my day.
Such a great list and something I had to read
Lovely, by the way you look just gorgeous. I sincerely do hope that you are healing.
So beautiful x
I needed this. ☺
Nic this is such an amazing list. Thank you!