“There’s nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater,you realize that you’ve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.”
~ Dave Barry
Meditation is what’s keeping me sane right now. In fact, for most of my life it has been a touchstone for me; a practice that allows me to fill up, to reconnect, to gain wisdom and to access healing.
The practice of meditation always reminds me of sinking beneath the sea. It’s hard to do when you start out – all sorts of thoughts crowd in on you, you worry about your breathing, if you’re doing it right – your focus is on technique. But as you become comfortable, as you get used to showing up in this quiet space, this whole otherworld, you’ll find that it is a practice that changes you from the inside out.
All of the meditations I’ve listed below are easy, but it doesn’t mean they’re not capable of transforming you. Even a few minutes a day is enough to bring about change.
Click on the links below for full instructions on each technique.
Bless ♥ Nicole xx
1. Easy Walking Meditation – If you have trouble with seated meditations this could be just the thing. A short walk where the focus is on breathing and mindfulness. It’s both relaxing and energising so it’s great for people who get stuck in their heads.
2. Tonglen Meditation – A beautiful method of using the breath to bring healing to self and others, and to help take pain and suffering away. When I don’t know how else to help or what to do, Tonglen provides a path for me. Even if your focus is someone else during this meditation, you will also benefit.
3. Bee Breath Meditation – This sound-based meditation is based upon a yoga practice called ‘Bhramari’ where you hum like a bee! It opens and clears your throat chakra, oxygenates the body, and reduces inflammation and the body’s stress response. Useful for dealing with fatigue, anger, depression and anxiety.
4. Pebbles for your Pocket Meditation – I love this one! You choose four stones or pebbles, and then do a short focus exercise of thought and feeling for each pebble to bring the energies of Freshness, Stability, Stillness and Space into your day.
5. Simple Technique to Boost Energy – When you’re feeling tired, frazzled, being drained by people, or you want to make a nice strong energetic barrier between you and the world, this is the meditation for you! It involves opening and closing energetic circuits within the body by simply using breathing and posture.
6. Eating the Sun Meditation – Taught to me by some Aboriginal Elders, this meditation technique is grounding and cleansing as well as profoundly nurturing. Wonderful for reconnecting us back into nature and ourselves.