I made a nap this afternoon. I made it out of two pillows, a bed, a sheet, a blanket, and exhaustion.
~ Jarod Kintz
Last week I discussed the idea of emotional luxury, and many of you wrote to me to tell me that your idea of luxury is to rest.
Awesome, but also not! Let me tell you why.
Rest is not a luxury, it’s a necessity.
Rest fills you up. It’s the juice that makes you function well in the world. Without enough of it, all of us grind to a halt after a while.
If you’re creative, sensitive, empathic, intuitive or psychic chances are that you’ll be needing a LOT more rest and sleep that usual right now. Life is chaotic and stressful, and because you have a big heart and a heightened sense of connection and empathy, you will be worn down by the current goings-on of the wider world. Deep rest, unplugging for a while and sleep are the things that will help untangle the knots inside you that have been caused by care, worry, sensory and emotional overwhelm.
When your personal battery is flat your enthusiasm will run low, and no matter how hard you try you’ll struggle to think straight, feel and function the way you normally do, ideas and abilities may desert you, and lack of sleep will make it feel as though everything is hard and nothing is going your way.
Please, stop being critical of yourself. Stop pushing yourself. Rest!
You may have also noticed lately that you’re experiencing failure to connect.
As a psychic, empath or intuitive you may be unable to sense things. A meditator may be unable to find their calm zone. Creatives may find that NOTHING comes to them, and anything they create is rubbish, or worse. Others may find that their skills desert them and they can’t execute the simplest task.
When you can’t connect you become stuck, instead of in the middle of that glorious energy of flow.
So what do you do when you find yourself in that stuck disconnected space? (and if you’re human, it’s inevitable at some stage in your life…)
Firstly, understand that you’re not actually DISCONNECTED, although it may feel that way. What’s actually happened is that your energetic battery is flat, and you can’t hold enough of a charge to FEEL that connection right now.
Failure to connect can be brought about by the overwhelm of life, stress, illness, shock, depression, fatigue, malnutrition, or excess. (Do I have to explain excess? Really? Okay – think too much of anything – like too much sugar, caffeine, alcohol, mind altering substances, negative and unsupportive people, work, pressure, exercise… the list is long but I’ll stop here.)
Secondly, don’t panic. This will pass. Honestly, it will.
Thirdly, you can be proactive, and give your body the conditions that will help it come back to balance quicker.
- Rest. Lots of rest.
- Magnesium. Find a good supplement or a spray or oil and use it! Magnesium runs our entire nervous system, as well as about a thousand other important cellular and support activities within our bodies. We use it up fast when we’re stressed, sick or exhausted. I’ve blogged about magnesium previously, including the joy of epsom salts baths here.
- If you’re warding off illness, or you’re sick, or in that place of slow recovery, add some Vitamin C and Zinc to support your immune system. Perhaps you can find a good natural therapist to assist your recovery. I am a big fan of acupuncture and herbs. But find what’s right for you!
- Get a massage or a healing of some kind. Allow your body and mind the time to be quiet and still. Don’t have expectations of yourself. Relax, let go and just be for a while.
- Find some sunshine and sit yourself in it. It’s a magical pill in the form of full-spectrum light and it has a miraculous effect on our bodies.
- Let go of fear. Fear holds us in adrenal exhaustion, and ruins our kidney and liver energy. Sometimes therapy helps, sometimes we might need to do something more drastic like end a relationship, leave a job, or change our living arrangements.
- Fill yourself up. If you’re running on empty, it makes sense to top yourself back up to full. As well as rest, you might need to fill up on cuddles and love, on peace and serenity, on nature, on art and music and movies and ideas, or just plain old fill up on life by heading out the front door and into the world and all its possibilities.
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil (this is the one I use), Lavender essential oil and Orange essential oil for reducing stress, relaxing you and increasing optimism.
It is hard (and sometimes impossible) to connect when our body is in a space of physical, emotional or spiritual exhaustion. Be kind to yourself when this happens. Don’t put pressure on yourself to achieve. If you have known connection before, then you’ll find your way back to that flow again. No need to try. Just relax into it. All is well. Know that you are deeply Loved.
Hugs, naps and the heavenly fragrance of Ylang-Ylang to banish your anxiety, Nicole xx
PS – need to source your own bottle of organic fair-trade pure Ylang-Ylang Oil? I recommend this one! See pic below and click link to purchase.