“Peace is present right here and now, in ourselves and in everything we do and see. Every breath we take, every step we take, can be filled with peace, joy, and serenity. The question is whether or not we are in touch with it. We need only to be awake, alive in the present moment.”
~ Thích Nhất Hạnh, Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
No matter how busy your life is, it is possible to find peace in your heart. It is possible to find a place inside yourself that is still, serene and tranquil.
When we connect into that quiet place our ability to cope with life’s pressures improves. We worry less, and begin to think more clearly. We bounce back, we develop resilience, and suddenly we are less troubled by things that once drove us to despair.
Here are five simple things you can do to encourage serenity in your own life:
1. Stand barefoot on the ground. Give yourself five minutes of the soles of your feet connecting to natural earth in all her permutations: sand, stones, dirt, grass, leaves, rock. Standing barefoot connects your feet chakras back into the Earth, discharges energy and grounds you.
2. Let the sun shine on your face and be energised by the sun’s rays. Sunshine gives us Vitamin D and bio-photonic energy. Sunbathing boosts our mood and helps us draw that ‘sunshiney’ energy deep inside ourselves.
3. Breathe deep into your belly, letting each breath relax and calm you. Place one hand on your chest and one hand on your belly. Putting your hands on your body gets you out of your head and reconnects you to yourself. Breathe in slowly through the nose, letting your chest remain still while your belly expands. Let your breath slowly and guide you back to that place of peace that is found within all of us.
4. Go for a walk. Get your body moving. Breathe. Humans were designed for movement, and it is unnatural to sit still for long periods of time. Walking re-oxygenates your body, and helps get you back into a better head space. Many people find that their best ideas also come while they are walking. Go on your own, take a friend or your dog!
5. Sit quietly, even if only for five minutes. Don’t read, or text, or surf the net. Just be. BE alone with your thoughts. Be alone with nature. BE alone with wherever you are, and let that be okay.
Wishing you peace in your heart today, and always,