It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit. But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.Mahatma Gandhi
Little actions. They might not seem very significant, but they add up over time.
Here are a few ideas:
- One of the most significant things you can do for the planet right now is simply to plant some native trees or shrubs around your home. Native animals and insects need native plants in order to survive. Local wildlife has evolved to be able to live in and eat from native species. Native plants (plants that are indigenous to your region) are the foundation of the ecosystem. It’s an ecosystem you might feel completely disconnected from, but it’s also the ecosystem that you live within too. You could also go further and replace some of your non-indigenous plants with native ones.
- Create watering points for birds and/or animals. Fountains and bird baths are a great idea, especially if you have long hot summers. Bee waterers are great too. To make a bee waterer simply place rocks or marbles in a shallow dish and let the water only come part way up the rocks or marbles so that the bees have a safe and dry space to land and can then drink the water from their dry place on the rock or marble.
- Shrink your lawn a little, in favour of more space for plants.
- Stop using poisons in and around your home.
- Keep outside lights off at night or have external lights on sensors, to help protect nocturnal insects and animals.
Thanks for caring for our planet. If we don’t, who will?
Love, butterflies and birdsong, Nicole xx