“There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.“ ~ Brian Andreas
Mostly when we think of kindness, we think of how we can act towards others. But today I want to focus on another equally important type of kindness – that which we extend to ourselves.
Too often we forget ourselves in the hurry and bustle of the year, and many sensitive souls get so busy looking after others that they forget to look after themselves at all.
Why not let 2018 be your year of aware self-care?
Here are ten simple acts of kindness you can give as gifts to yourself:
1. Eat well – a simple, nourishing home-cooked meal eaten slowly and with appreciation – to replenish your body and comfort your soul. If there’s no time for cooking, have some healthy take-out options already thought through so that you don’t succumb to junk. (Pictured below is my Easy Kale and Orange Salad with Miso Dressing)
2. Say no when you’re too tired. No-one can run on adrenalin forever. Honour your feelings and your own needs. Listen to your heart. Let yourself rest. Replenish those batteries. * Good advice here: Are you too nice?
3. Indulge in some self-maintenance. Get your hair cut, have a massage, update your wardrobe or make that appointment with the doctor or dentist. For more info try 8 Ingredients for Better Health
4. Move your body! We were designed to move, and exercise is good for the body, mind and spirit. Choose an activity or sport that you enjoy, or simply go for a walk.
5. Read a book. Self-help, romance, educational, escapism, fantasy or non-fiction. Reading is a wonderful way to take some time for yourself, to relax or to give yourself a mental stretching session.
6. Make time for the things that you enjoy. Indulge your hobbies, and connect with like-minded people who share your interests.
7. Spend some real time with people (and creatures) you love! Friends, family, pets – everyone who loves us and who makes us feel good about ourselves. Social isolation is an insidious thing – facebook and texting can’t make up for that special energy of meeting up face to face for love, hugs, and laughs.
8. Spend a little time dreaming… Dreams aren’t just for kids. Everybody needs a dream. Try this great journalling activity: Writing Yourself into a Brighter Future
9. Hang out in nature. Spend the day or a week! Feel the sun at your back, the wind in your hair, the rain on your skin. Let nature fill you up and get you grounded again. Read more here: The Healing Power of Nature
10. Ask for help. Sometimes we just can’t do it on our own. And sometimes we just don’t know what to do or where to start. On the days when we’re wrung out and hanging on by our fingernails, there will be someone out there who cares and is in a place where they can extend that guidance and support to you. Asking for help is one of the greatest acts of kindness we can give ourselves. There’s more on this here: Sometimes your only job is to ask for help
You are worthy, beautiful, and you deserve love and kindness. Most of all, you need it from yourself. The way we treat ourselves sets the tone in the wider Universe for how we expect to be treated. And our expectations have a way of manifesting… Choose kindness!
Much love, Nicole ♥ xx