“Rest and your energy will be restored.”Lailah Gifty Akita
Have you had problems dropping off to sleep?
If so, this foot soak might do the trick for you.
It incorporates warm water, magnesium and essential oils, and it will help to relax you, to draw your energy away from your head where you’ve been busy thinking and overthinking and it will slow and ground you so you can go to bed relaxed and ready for sleep. It’s also super for people who suffer from nocturnal leg cramps and restless legs syndrome.
Because the magnesium from the Epsom Salts is absorbed directly through your skin it also allows even people who find it hard taking magnesium orally to be able to top themselves up with this magical mineral.
Magnesium is an important element within our body. It is used by our nervous system, and also by our muscles, and stressed people are usually deficient in this mineral. When we do psychic or metaphysical work we also burn up lots of magnesium. Magnesium is a co-factor in over 300 enzymatic actions in the human body, such as co-factoring with calcium to build and sustain healthy bones. It gives us energy, prevents muscle cramps and pains, calms us and helps us sleep.
Tools you will need:
- A bucket or tub wide enough for both your feet to rest in at the same time, and deep enough for the water to come over your ankles. If you can find a bucket that allows you to get water up to the middle of your calves even better!
- A cupful of Epsom Salts – these are pure magnesium crystals and is easily purchased from pharmacies, drugstores, produce stores and garden supply centres
- Essential oils – choose from Geranium, Lavender, Ylang Ylang or Cedarwood or use a combination of these. You’ll need around ten drops in total.
- A towel to protect the floor and to rest your foot soak bucket on, and a second towel to dry your feet
- Slippers or socks to keep your feet warm after the foot soak
Precautions – this soak is not recommended for people in renal failure, or for pregnant women without first consulting with your doctor
I often put a few tumbled crystals in my foot soak – favourites are smoky quartz for clearing negativity and low vibrations from my aura, rose quartz for love and nurture, and amethyst for enhancing spiritual connection. I often throw in a carnelian too, as it is a great physical healer and energy booster.
This soak is best done just before you go to bed, so make sure you have showered or bathed, have cleaned your teeth and are ready to go straight to your bedroom to lay down after the foot soak.
Set up your soak bucket in front of a chair, fill the bucket with tolerably hot water, then add the Epsom Salts and essential oils and stir until the salts are dissolved.
Sit down and lower your feet into the water. Sit quietly. Close your eyes. Maybe listen to some music or a relaxing podcast or audiobook. Allow yourself to relax. Sit for ten to fifteen minutes.
Remove your feet from the soak tub and dry them with the towel. Put your slippers or socks on to keep your feet warm until you get to bed. Empty out the water, or leave it until the morning if it is in a safe place and won’t be a problem.
Take yourself to bed. Lie down in a dark room. No screens. No devices. Relax and focus on your breath and allow yourself to drift off to sleep.
Enjoy! ♥ ♥ ♥