“We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.”
~ Marian Wright Edelman
Another Monday’s rolling around and that means that you have the opportunity, in small ways, to shape your week to play out differently.
Unless you won the lottery on the weekend or are about to embark on some stunning vacation, chances are that this week is going to look a lot like last week for you.
But there are some simple things that you can do to give this week a sense of greater meaning and satisfaction, so that by week’s end you feel a sense of being more in control.
These things are:
- One consistent small change, repeated daily.
- A small window of time to work on something important to you.
- A reward to look forward to.
The small change needs to be a positive step that you know will make a difference in your life. No grand gestures please – just make it something small, do-able and measurable.
- drinking 2 litres of water each day
- cutting back smoking, sugar or coffee – make it measurable ie go from two coffees each day to one, from two sugars to one, from four cigarettes to two
- eating fresh vegetables each day
- tidying your desk and getting tomorrow’s to-do list done before you go home each day
- cleaning up after dinner so you’re not greeted by a stack of dirty dishes in the morning
Life shoots by so fast – we’re already approaching the middle of the year. What dreams did you have for this year? What did you hope to achieve? This week, make sure to take a tiny step towards something that’s important to you.
That could be:
- going to yoga one night after work
- going to the library to get some research materials
- cleaning out a closet
- signing up for a class one night a week, or over the weekend
- gathering materials for your project or craft
- spending time with someone important to you
And finally – your reward! It’s life, people. It’s meant to be enjoyed. How does that look for you? Promise yourself that if you get through Monday to Friday with your consistent small change, and your window of time for yourself, that on the weekend (or Friday night) you’ll enjoy a small reward.
Some ideas to get you started include:
- going to the movies
- wandering through the weekend markets
- going to a favourite store or cafe
- going to the park, the beach or on a picnic
- a drive in the country
- a sleep-in
- a visit to the travel agent for some inspiring brochures
- taking yourself shopping, or for a haircut, a massage or a spa
No, this is not a plan for global domination, or for massively sexy and abundance-making overnight results.
But when we take small actions, consistently, and remember to nurture ourselves, take time for our dreams, and enjoy the simple pleasures in life – life becomes a lot more livable, and we find ourselves happier within our existing life circumstances.
Why don’t you try it for yourself? There’s nothing to lose, and small course corrections, over time, often lead to huge positive life changes.
Sending much love to you for a wonderful week. Love and Light, Nicole xx
PS – If you want a really cool tool to add in to your small changes this week, why not try one of my awesome affirmations. At worst it will make you laugh, and at best, well… magic might happen!
Here’s the link: Nicole’s Very Cool Positive Affirmations